Sunday, April 10, 2011

Vintage Cookbooks

I was never a history buff, but I love finding vintage cookbooks! They put the past in perspective from the kitchen point-of-view.  I dug out my collection of American Cookery magazines yesterday and thought I would share some of the recipes... like this one for Ginger Cookies. Enjoy!
 
Ginger Cookies without Molasses
1 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar
2 cups flour
1 teaspoonful soda
1 tablespoonful ginger
Cream the butter; beat in the sugar, then the flour sifted with the soda and ginger.  Stir in as much more flour as can be stirred in easily with a spoon.  With floured hands, roll the dough into marble shapes, and set these in a buttered pan some distance apart.  Bake to a light brown color.

Page 215 - From the October 1917 issue of American Cookery formerly The Boston Cooking School Magazine of Culinary Science and Domestic Economics